Munson Healthcare Upgrades CT Technology at Four Locations
Traverse City, MI, April 12, 2022 – A large-scale technology upgrade project for Munson Healthcare’s Radiology Services is now underway with the installation of five new GE 256-Slice Revolution™ CT scanners.
Munson Healthcare Charlevoix Hospital is the first of four Munson Healthcare hospital sites to receive the new technology. In addition to Charlevoix, Munson Healthcare Cadillac Hospital, Munson Healthcare Grayling Hospital, and Munson Medical Center in Traverse City are scheduled to receive the devices over the next nine months.
“This project is the result of many years of strategic planning and budgeting. To see this project become a reality and to be able to offer this advanced technology across the system is an extraordinary accomplishment,” said Branden Hill, system director of Radiology Services. The new technology will greatly improve our ability to quickly diagnose and appropriately treat patients, thus improving outcomes and extending long term quality of life for patients.”
Longer term plans include additional CTs at Kalkaska Memorial Health Center, Munson Healthcare Manistee Hospital, Munson Healthcare Otsego Memorial Hospital, and Munson Healthcare Paul Oliver Memorial Hospital. The GE 256-Slice Revolution CT boasts state-of-the-art technology, customarily found at comprehensive stroke and heart centers. With this investment, patients and providers will have access to advanced, life-saving technology at all Munson Healthcare hospitals.
The new GE CT scanners provide:
- Fast and efficient scanning of whole-body images within seconds, greatly reducing the time of the scan.
- The lowest possible radiation exposure while acquiring superior images to deliver accurate diagnosis.
- Early identification of active strokes using local technology; previously only available at Munson Medical Center.
- Non-invasive coronary artery imaging with CT angiography available locally.
- Cardiac exams in a single heartbeat without beta blockers.
- Brain perfusion and angiography for stroke protocols.
- Whole brain imaging in less than a second.
- Detailed bone imaging, even for patient with metal implants.
- Advanced pulmonary embolism studies.
- A quieter experience due to innovative engineering and can accommodate up to 675-pound person.
- Rapid trauma assessment.
The installation project at Charlevoix is complete and the unit began operations this week. Work will begin at Grayling in mid-April with completion set for the end of June. Munson Medical Center should see delivery of their two units in August and October, followed by Cadillac.
With the exception of the Cadillac location, mobile CT units will be in place during the two-month installation periods. Use of the mobile units enables CT services to continue uninterrupted during construction so patients may continue to seek convenient care locally. Munson Healthcare advises patients and visitors to be aware of parking restrictions and constructions vehicles and crews during the installation phase of this project.
For more information on Munson Healthcare Radiology Services, go to munsonhealthcare.org/radiology.
SOURCE: Munson Healthcare